Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Sugar. sugar. sugar. cake.

Sunday we had our Christmas party for the KOFAEL ladies that meet monthly at the house.

Saturday, Allyson and I spent the WHOLE DAY rolling out sugar cookie dough, with our hands since we didn't have a rolling pin. Cutting out trees, stockings, snowmen, gingerbread men, stars & candy canes. I would say we made at least 100 cookies. Then we made 5 cakes.

I felt like betty crocker. minus the apron that I left at my house & a big kitchen.

Adaption is a must when living here. I welcome it with open arms.





That night Elisabeth and her family came down. We had a full house. She helps with KOFAEL marketing and live in St. Marc.

I cooked tacos & Casadillas. I LOVED to finally host people. and to cook a large meal. I got to wear my apron : )

We stayed up till 1 am talking with Elisabeth and her husband. It was so wonderful to be open and have other missionaries to talk to.

Sunday was full of preparing the house for the party. The kids made "snowflakes" out of coffee filters, we put our tree and reindeer downstairs, the girls and I decorated the 5 cakes oh and 40 cupcakes, and made TONS of frosting for the sugar cookies.

Our rooms were full of beautiful women & children downstairs.

All the women got Christmas gifts. Solar powered bibles in Haitian creole. So now they can listen to the bible instead of learning how to read first.

It is sad that so many women here do not know how to read & write their own language.

This is breaking that barrier of receiving the Gospel.

We sang Christmas songs, had a sweet little girl sing jingle bells & then took the kids out to play some games while the ladies got their new loans!

As the kids stood in line to get their sugar cookies and decorate them, you could see the excitement on their faces accompanied by confusion of what to do.

They PILED on the frosting. which either they really like sugar or this is the "take everything you can get" survival mode.

By the end there were NO cookies left and 2 pieces of cake. It was a successful party.

Celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ with friends from different language & culture. But in the end we are all sisters in Christ. Those barriers were broken when He sacrificed His life for our sins.







 " Then when you swear by my name, saying, as surely as the Lord lives,you could do so with truth, justice, and righteousness. Then you would be a blessing to the nations of the world,and all people would come and praise my name" Jeremiah 4:2

This will be a very different Christmas. But one where I can focus truly on the reason for this holiday. I am thankful to have friends who take me in and allow me to spend time with their family on Christmas.

In Christ's Love,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment