Sunday, June 15, 2014

Mosquitos.

USA vs Haiti


Mosquitos are just as annoying here as they are in Haiti. except now I don't have to worry about getting the Chimichanga virus. 
Everything here is automatic. The airport especially. Automatic soap dispenser. Automatic toilets. Automatic dryers. Automatic ticket printers.
>>> Cant do anything for myself anymore I guess? 

The weather is indecisive from 50 degrees to 90, clearly summer is still not here yet. In Haiti its the same almost everyday. Hot, Hotter, Hotter & dusty. 
SO MANY FOOD CHOICES ----- no more mangos, pineapples & fried plantains. : ( 
24 hour power, hot water & AC. 
>>> took me a while to stop waking up with the first thought of "is the city power on?"

I AM ALWAYS FREEEEEZING. 

which I didn't pack any warm clothes. 

I love being able to come back stateside, enjoy a few luxuries ( getting a mani/pedi was heavenly && I have never felt more feminine wearing high heels & fake eyelashes ), spending precious time with my families, & creating memories that I will take with me to the Philippines. 

I miss Haiti. 
I find myself holding back tears. 
I am thankful that I have such a yearning to live outside of the states. 
but knowing that I have amazing people stateside who I can visit && make me feel right at home is a wonderful feeling. 

These last 2 weeks have been CRAZY as I was literally in the air for about 5 days straight it felt like. 
- My cousins wedding was BEAUTIFUL. A wonderful time to spend with family. I got to be a florist again and it was a wonderful feeling to know I didn't lose my creative side. Learned to swing dance, drove for the first time in 6 months ( it was only a 4wheeler ), went horseback riding and almost fell off about 5 times. 

- Was surprised with a secret wedding the day after I landed in MN. My "adoptive family" Mary, Scot & Jen have been planning a surprise wedding and it brought me to tears when they asked me if I would stand up with them. It was a beautiful small ceremony with just the 4 of us and the judge followed by the most amazing food. Blessed to have them in my life and I wish Mary & Scot years of beautiful memories and growing love. 

- Surprised Morgan and Alex. As I was hiding the first thing Morgan said as she walked through the door " I wanna see Emmy, is she here yet?" Alex " EMMYYYYYYYY YOUR HERE!!" I didn't want to put my girls down. Their smiles melt my heart. They have grown up SO much in the last year and I am more and more proud of them everyday. 

- Quick trip to the cabin which reminded me of how beautiful this state is. The sunset on the lake as we cruised around on a pontoon that was as fast as a speed boat brought back memories from my life growing up here. I am thankful that I grew up here. 


- fed a baby cow with the BIGGEST bottle I have ever seen, held a chicken & desired for a moment to live on a farm.           (which was short lived)

- Cuddling Morgan, Alexandra & Connor is something I will always crave & am thankful that I have these sweet hearts in my life. 

- Girl time with Krista is something that I can never replace. I am thankful for her friendship, love & support. 

- Dancing for about 2 hours, playing skip-bo, and the sight of Chad & Kevin wearing a tiara will forever be known as a wonderful night : ) 

 
These are just some of my special moments of this summer and there are many more to come. I am beyond thankful that I am able to visit my families & friends before I leave for school. 
That length of time is not going to be easy. >> Thank goodness for Skype  


>>> Everyone keeps asking me if I loved living in Haiti & why. 
something that is still so hard to explain because it is deep in my heart & there are SO many reason why I love that place. 

God is preparing me for the Philippines as everyone who has been there keeps telling me its beautiful, I will love it and this excites me. 

Tomorrow I am doing an 8 hour shift shadowing a midwife at the 
University of MN hospital in the labor & delivery unit.
I am nervous yet SO excited to see the beginning of what my life is going to look like. just in a different setting. 


I have a few days left in MN. Thursday I fly back to Kansas City. 
These last 2 weeks have flown by and I have regretfully spent very little time with God. I feel a vast emptiness when I don't spend time with Him, Praising Him and giving Him thankfulness. 

{{ Its amazing how so quickly we forget something that we desire so immensely. 
Why do we get so wrapped up in our lives and forget to spend time with the One who gave us this life? }}

He is so good to us through His Grace. which I feel so selfish sometimes that I throw it around like its nothing.

I think for myself I have realized that I need healthy community to be with for longer then a few months more then ever. To be surrounded by those who desire to grow in their relationship with God. 

I have moved around SO much and have amazing individuals & families in my life, don't get me wrong I am so thankful for them. Its me who moves, and stops that personal community & relational growth because of my never ending eagerness to not settle down even though I would really like to. 

>>> with that I am sorry to those who feel I am always leaving. It is not you at all. Its me and my emotions when I don't like what I am doing to move and make a change. This has got me into trouble but also been a blessing as God used it for good in bringing certain people into my life who will forever be apart of my future. <<<

Living in the Philippines will be a test of my "settling down" in a way as I will be there for over 2 years. The longest time I have been in one place in the last 5 years. 
I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.

Being surrounded by other women who are learning the same skills will help incredibly. 

I know I will have good days and bad days. But these memories I have from these last few years will carry me through. 
Those sweet faces back in Haiti will give me that extra push to get back there and be a midwife to those women.
My family & friends words and encouragement will carry me through those times of weakness. 
I am going to be leaning on Gods strength in new ways that I haven't even experienced yet. 

I can't wait for these next 2 months. The memories, laughs 
& moments of pure thankfulness. 

In Christ's Love & Grace
Emily Elizabeth



















 ** Its fathers day so SHOUT OUT to my amazing daddy-o. I am beyond blessed to be his daughter. I would not be where I am today without his millions of prayers & never ending love. I am blessed to have so many memories with him from around the world. Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef, Moto rides through Port au Prince, & surfing in Hawaii together. I love that God has given us the same heart for Haiti & I can't wait to serve there together. My dad has never given up on my through the years where I struggled. He is an amazing dad to me, my sister & brother. An amazing Opa & husband. I pray that one day my husband will be a great father to my kids the way you are to us dad. I love you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment